Everyone will have anxiety at some point in his or her life. However, when anxiety becomes pervasive or overwhelming, it may become difficult to cope with everyday stressors. Support in the form of psychological talk therapies offered by the depression and anxiety therapist at Power Counseling PLLC, in Washington DC, will help you to reduce your symptoms of anxiety.
But, how can therapy (the very thought of which might leave you feeling even more anxious) make your anxiety any better? It can help in the following ways:
• You Can Finally Admit the Full Extent of Your Anxiety – The illogical nature of anxiety can leave people feeling ashamed, often. People feel ashamed of what they are going through, meaning they can hide their suffering from friends and family – and even from themselves. Therapy creates the opportunity for you to speak out loud about the true extent of all that you’ve been suffering. This can give you huge relief and healing.
• You Can Be Fully Understood – A therapist neither makes their client feel silly nor judge them for being anxious. On the contrary, they will take your anxiety very seriously. They know, from their training and in talking to others, what you are talking about. Everything you will share with them will not leave them surprised as they would have already dealt with many similar cases before.
• You Get Clarity On Why You Suffer Anxiety – Often, if you suffer from anxiety, you start feeling disconnected from what’s really going on around you. It often becomes impossible for you to see and think about how it all began. A therapist is trained and skilled at helping you understand just how you might have developed anxiety as a coping mechanism.
• You Gain Fresh Insights Into Your Triggers – Anxiety can be connected to certain triggers, especially when it comes to anxiety disorders, such as social anxiety and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD). A therapist can help you be clear on what those triggers are. You might find that you can catch and circumvent your anxiety faster than you realize if you learn to pay attention to things, such as the subtle bodily sensations that come before an anxiety attack.
• You Might Find New & Effective Ways Of Handling Your Anxiety – Anxiety is an awful, uncomfortable feeling for most people. So, when anxiety hits, we develop ways of trying to not feel it, which might provide short-term relief. Of course, these exact ways of coping might be prolonging your anxiety, not helping it! Depression and anxiety therapist in Washington DC helps you find other ways of managing your anxieties that are more adaptive and healthy and lead to you feeling better about yourself and your life.
• You Learn Techniques To Bring Instant Relief When Anxiety Hits – Therapists are trained at teaching a range of techniques that help you deal successfully with anxiety. These can include things like: body relaxation techniques, breathing techniques, visualization techniques and mindfulness. Cognitive behavioral therapy, the most common sort of therapy offered for anxiety, can also teach you ways to challenge your thoughts and test your behavior.
It is always recommended that you seek help for your anxiety. It’s important that you do not brush off your anxiety as no big deal. Left untreated, persistent anxiety is a leading cause of serious depression, as well as a contributor to addictions like alcoholism and drug use. Yes, we all get anxious when life is challenging. But ongoing feelings of anxiousness can be dealt with. All you need to do is visit the reliable and professional depression and anxiety therapist at Power Counseling PLLC, in Washington DC..